Sunday 9 November 2014

Contoller supported custom demo using OVR

Hey all,

Just a quick rough update. I spend an hour or so making a custom prototype scene to see how to do the following:
  • Use skyboxes with Oculus
Pretty easy as the oculus in Unity is actually two cameras. I just added the same skybox material to each 'eye' camera.

LeftEye camera with custom skybox
  • Use a 360 controller with Unity and Oculus 
Making use of the OVRGamePad Controller script included with the Oculus integration. I am currently reading through how this script functions and why it doesn't make more use of Unity built in controller features.

The results are below. I set up a simple scene with a skybox, and basic textured terrain and some rigidbodies for collision detection. Then I imported the OVR stuff I required (character/camera) and got rid of the default Unity camera. Everything is pretty much plug and play and controllers work! But I want to do more on this to see how to customise my controller input since it's tied to the OVR's classes settings at the minute.

Figure 1 - Basic terrain being made and custom skybox added to Oculus

Figure 2 - Replacing the plane with terrain


Figure 3 - Final outcome, 360 controllers work as long as the OS can see the 360 driver, collision works, skybox also works.


That's all for now, along with my other tasks I will be looking into the controller/movement functionality in more detail. 

I will also be writing a basic rotation script to rotate and object along its X,Y or Z axis in 3D space. This is another test in case we can make use of this functionality later.



No comments:

Post a Comment